Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A is for Affectionate

[To preserve the anonymity of the guests that this post will allude to, I'm not going to tell you when it happened. So there.]

With that said, onto the story...

I'm sitting at the front desk, probably answering emails or doing research when a couple walks in, ready to check in. I check them in, grab their key, and begin their tour, showing them first our piano. Upon seeing it the woman shrieks with glee and begs her husband to play while smothering him loudly with kisses. Their arms are wrapped around each other, faces smushed together, and I am standing awkwardly on the wings of this romantic exchange, completely forgotten about by the couple. Waiting.

As this is happening another couple who had checked in earlier that day comes down and wants to make a dinner reservation at a local restaurant. We will call the new check in Couple A and the reservation-making couple Couple B.

Now, usually, I'd quickly jot down Couple B's reservation information and then carry on with the tour. But, as I was trying to ask Couple B what restaurant they'd like to go to, the silence between words was being punctuated by giggles, sighs, and the sounds of lips smacking in the next room. (If it's not clear yet, I have named them Couple A for "affectionate")

Couple B is quite amused by this spectacle (and the fact that I cannot keep a straight face) and starts trying desperately not to laugh. Which makes me laugh. I feel like a bad person. But this is just so... awkward! And hilarious! This is the sort of scene that would happen in a sitcom if one about innkeeping existed. I mean, Couple B and I were at the front desk for probably three solid minutes and there was not a moment that there were no giggles, kisses, or amorous shrieks to be heard.

Then, when I honestly think that this situation cannot get any funnier, the Boyfriend in Couple B looks at me and jokes, "I hope they aren't next to us tonight!"

But they are. They share a wall. I can't take it. I burst out laughing, losing every bit of dignity I had, and let him know this fact. His girlfriend laughs. I am so glad they have a sense of humor!

After getting the remainder of their reservation information, I wish them a good lunch, and continue Couple A's tour. When I walk in the Sitting Room, I find her sitting on his lap, arms around his neck, immersed in a passionate kiss.

Let's just say the tour was everything you would expect it to be. Memorable for sure.


With Love, (but not too much)
~Brande N.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lmao .. Brande ... You are to funny! At least you have fun being there :]