Sunday, February 1, 2009

Guestbook

Wayyyy back in October our guest book filled up. It had lasted almost two years and finally the last page was signed and it was time for it to go into retirement. This meant it was time to get a newer, spiffier, more ecologically sound model, in accords with our Green Commitment.

We knew we wanted it to be:
-Refillable
-Handmade
-Plastic free
-Filled with recycled paper
-Interesting

Here is what we got:
An artist from Etsy made it for us, and did an excellent job if-I-do-say-so-myself! She and her husband harvested the pine from their own backyard and then designed and crafted this according to our specifications. And that beautiful wood-burning? We gave her a photo of the Inn, she converted it to a line drawing, and then burnt it by hand.


Just look at that detail!


Amazing. If I had that kind of talent, well... I'd be really talented.

On top of the fact that it's beautiful, functional and refillable, it's also filled with 100% recycled paper!
I love the texture. It's lovely and gives the book so much personality.

And while I know the the clear (and probably petroleum based) stain on the surface of the book isn't green by any means, I do feel that we made the right decision in selecting this option. As I've said before, I'd much rather our money go toward an individual over a faceless, nameless corporation. And considering the state of the economy, the fact that this was made domestically seems like a big plus. The fact that the bulk of the materials were also domestically sourced means that the carbon footprint of this book has been significantly reduced. Oh, and did I mention that even though this was handmade and custom designed it was less expensive than the imported alternative? How great is that!

Yet another example of being green and saving green!

With Love,
~Brande N.

No comments: