Thursday, February 5, 2009

Extra, Extra!

In my last edition of "Traveler's Resources" I said that I'd tell you about my favorite way to find local events in the city or town you'll be visiting. The answer? The local newspaper.

This April, Dan and I are going to California for the first time (hello sunshine and sandy beaches!). The B&B we're staying at is near the town of Mill Valley. So I do this:

And lo and behold I got a result. The Marin Independent Journal.

And there, under the "Lifestyles" tab we find Entertainment, Dining, and an Events Calendar. Now I love finding obscure festivals, odd art exhibits, open mic nights, and the like, so I'm going to click the Events Calendar.

Now see that? That's an easy way to get confused and lose A LOT of time. Make sure those location bars are filled in with the area you want.
Much better. And you can see that I also narrowed the search radius to 5 miles. I like to get an idea of what's closest first and then expand beyond that. I neglected to change the dates, drat! But I'm sure you get the idea, right?


And you can see above that there are a great many small cities and towns (as well as a very large city: San Francisco!) around Mill Valley. This means that, depending on how much Dan and I want to travel outside of the area, we can search events in each of these cities. Come to think of it, I'm sure San Francisco has it's own newspaper (or two) that I could check out as well as each of these towns.

My favorite thing about this resource is that it will never let you down. Well... Unless the place you're going to doesn't have much to offer...

But in the case of Mill Valley and Marin County:

Fusion music, twisted theatre and all-you-can-eat-crab? This is my kinda city! And I found it all on one place.

Now go forth and find local events! Have fun!

With Love,
~Brande N.

No comments: