Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Salt and Bubbles and Cookies

One of my absolute favorite things about innkeeping is that, for the first time, I have the opportunity to exercise my creative muscles.

Okay, the second time, actually. I used to work at a small bakery in NY and I was allowed to try out new recipe ideas I had formulated. My favorite creation was this:


Yes, that's right, those are broken hearted gingerbread people. They were our special Valentine's Day cookie and I remember being SO proud of these little guys because they sold out. Twice. I felt spiffy. And talented. And cool.

But even though that job allowed me to be creative, it was a terrible work atmosphere. As in, bad enough that our head baker was deported for not having a green card and I (as in Ms. Just Out of High School with ZERO Professional Baking Experience) had to come on as the full time pastry chef. I was working 7 days, 50+ hours per week, but I was only paid about $3 and hour. It was bad.

Being at the Inn is exactly the opposite. I'm appreciated, encouraged, and the work atmosphere is great. And that makes me oh-so-happy. I make funky biscotti, develop our special event menus, design signs and notes and things that go around the Inn... Almost everyday involves doing something creative.

Today is the day that I immerse myself in a flurry of crafty packaging, prepping, and Valentine's Day preparations. Last night I made these:
And today I'll be making these:
The bubble bath will look essentially just like the salts when I'm all set. We have a really cool idea for how we're going to present the "rose" part of our "Rose Petal Bubble Bath Kit" but I can't show you that until we're done.

So, I'm off to go cut fabric and trim ribbon and do other creative, artsy things that classify as work but are SO much fun. It's a good life.

With Love,
~Brande N.

No comments: