Sunday, May 17, 2009

Local Intelligence

I'm a chronic Google-er. I'll admit it.


"I can't get this jar open!"...Google it!

"I need new shoes." ...Google it!

"What does 'eidetic' mean?" ...Google it!*


From my habit of over-Googling I've found that the answers I'm looking for often come from the same source again and again and again.

Example?

Rural Intelligence.

Time and again as I'm researching events and attractions in the Berkshires, Rural Intelligence ends up on my Google Radar, providing me with the answers I need. For example, when I was looking up photos and additional info on Rubiner's Cheesemongers in Great Barrington, I found this article, which talks about Rubiner's "Oysters and Champagne Fridays". Another time I was doing a bit of research on The Mount, and found this article which, in addition to offering a spectacularly beautiful photo of the estate in winter, highlights an interesting event happening on-location. Oh, and this article too, which speculates on The Mount's reputation for being haunted, and mentions its recent filming for the Sci-Fi Channel's show Ghost Hunters. Spooky!

Why exactly does Rural Intelligence keep coming up on my radar? The answer is simple: it's a website focused on only 4 counties in the New England area, one of which is Berkshire county. That means that of all the articles on the website, there is a 1 in 4 chance of an attraction relevent to me being featured.

Needless to say, I've become more and more convinced that this is an excellent local resource. I've even bookmarked it, and now browse it periodically looking for updates and insights. (I won't lie, it helps that Rural Intelligence hosts 3 different blogs, too. We all remember my blog addiction, right?)

Anyway, I think that you [as a reader of my blog and apparent lover of the Berkshires] should head over to Rural Intelligence and do some poking around. Whether your coming to the Berkshires for a special event, food, nature, culture, or even just to visit family, I'm sure you'll find something helpful. Have fun!

With Love,
~Brande N.

*Ok, so "Let Me Google That For You" might be a little harsh, but I can't help but find it hilarious that someone actually created that website. An odd and cranky form of genius, I think.

No comments: