Friday, March 6, 2009

Maple Syrup Weekend

After growing up, moving out of my parents' house, and living in several different places, I've learned that there are a few things I took for granted growing up in a small, rural town in the northeast. Autumn is a good example. Living next to Lake Ontario, too. And cheap, easy, abundant Maple Syrup, is a big number three.

My uncle, who lived just a couple miles down the road from us, made maple syrup in his garage. Just for fun. And we got it for free. Gallons and gallons of sweet, buttery, delicious syrup. That's how plentiful it was growing up.

It wasn't until I got older that I realized the sweet stuff isn't so abundant or inexpensive in other parts of the world. I stumbled on this webpage recently and was flabbergasted by some of the numbers.

In the spirit of appreciating that which was once unappreciated, I'm going to make known the nifty new package we just finished putting on our website. It's called "Maple Syrup Weekend" and we're going to be doing all kinds of fun things to celebrate this delicious local resource. I'm really excited about that maple candy making demonstration. ...and free samples. I love free samples.

Dan and I are also working on a special breakfast menu for that weekend that highlights maple syrup. Of course there will be yummy buttermilk pancakes and waffles, but we want to get creative. Maybe I'll whip up come pumpkin spice cookies with maple cream cheese frosting for the guest pantry. Maybe some homemade maple granola? I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

I'll be sure to post the menu when we get it all sorted out. Until then, I have an assignment for you:

-Go grab an eggo waffle (or homemade or all-natural equivalent) out of your freezer.

-And the maple syrup out of your fridge.

-Toast the eggo.

-Now grab a jar of peanut butter out of your pantry.

-Schmear a happy helping of it on your waffle.

-Drizzle (or drench) it with maple syrup. Yes, on top of the PB.

-Enjoy!

True story: When I was in third grade I stayed overnight at my best friend McKenzie's house and her mom made us these waffles for breakfast the next morning. I remember being equal parts appalled, confused, and stunned as I watched her and her brothers gleefully mar those beautiful waffles. After much persuasion I finally (reluctantly) gave them a try. And to this day, it's one of my favorite ways to top waffles.

With Love,
~Brande N.

No comments: