Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ashes to Ashes, Eggshells to Dust

How serendipitous and grand that we should start composting on Earth Day! A local woman recently responded to our Craigslist ad advertising free compost, and let us know that she'll be picking her first batch up during the first week of May. That makes today the perfect day to start separating our eggshells and coffee grounds from saran wrap and burnt bacon bits. Even the ashes from our fireplaces can be composted.

It's so encouraging to see what a difference these changes are making! When Dan and I started only 6 months ago every bit of waste went to the dumpster. All of our food scraps; every can, bottle, carton, box, and wrapper; all of these ash and soot from the fireplaces; everything. Now it's ALL getting a second life through either recycling or composting. Really, I wouldn't feel I was exaggerating if I said we've reduced our waste by 60% or more.

I love, too, that these changes we're so easy to make. To begin recycling we just gave our waste management company a call, found out which days are recycling days, and signed up (at a slight extra cost). To compost, I spent about 5 minutes making a Craigslist ad and then waited for a call. Add a few separating bins to the mix and that's it!

I think the biggest challenge that hindered me from composting was the fact that I have no idea how to make compost. There's turning and mulching and carbon and nitrogen and this-is-good and this-is-bad--it's overwhelming! Collecting it is easy. Once I realized that I could find someone else to take it and use their expertise to turn it into rich fertilizer, there were no more hindrances.

So If you're thinking about composting but are too scared, or your yard is too small, or your green thumb turns things black; try Craigslist or even Freecycle. You know what they say: "One person's trash is another's treasure!"

Good luck and Happy Earth Day!
~Brande N.

3 comments:

LynnieBee said...

Absolutely! "Going Green" only seems hard, once you take the initiative, it's very easy!
:)

Peggy said...

Agreed! I'd even compare it to starting a new diet. At first you think, "Ugh! Veggies!" Then before you know it you're crafting entire meals around zucchini.

I used to think, "Ugh! That organic chicken is EXPENSIVE!" Now that I eat it less, I savor and appreciate it more. It's a win-win for me and the environment!

LynnieBee said...

Oh, yes absolutely, I'm more than willing to pay more for organic chicken (and other organic staples) and eat it less often, because, as you say, that way it's guilt-free and I really get to savor it :)